Who's Ungrateful??

     Today at dinner, I was faced once again with three kids at the table complaining about the food.  They are not hungry, they do not like ribs and "there is nothing in this house to eat."  Being a little on edge from a day filled with inconveniences, I did not handle it well.  I stood up, said, "I am sick of this", put my plate in the sink and went upstairs to lay in my bed.  On my way up the stairs, I was feeling quite sorry for myself and thinking how ungrateful these kids are and if they could only understand how much I sacrifice.  I began listing all the wonderful things I do for them, drive 2 hours a day for school, give up new clothes so they can have them, stay home so they do not have to be with a babysitter, clean, grocery shop and cook constantly!  Oh, I was on a roll!  Just as I reached the bedroom door, however, God started talking.
    You guessed it, I was in for a talking to!  You see, I realized, I am much like my kids are when it comes to my own wants.  How many times does God look at me and my complaints and requests and wonder why I cannot just be thankful for all He has given to me and all He sacrificed for me.  Often times I think we approach God just like my kids were approaching me tonight at the dinner table.  God sends so many of the things we need and blesses in ways we sometimes take for granted and we fail to focus on those things and instead, think about all the things we do not have.  I think this may be hitting home with a few of you as well.  It is ok to admit it.  Just today, we had two broken cars and no money to fix them and I began my conversation with God to tell Him just what I need and when I need it.  I complained about my situation and did not approach my whole day with and attitude of thankfulness.
     I guess I really did not have room to be so upset with my kiddos this evening.  Tomorrow, as we start our day, let us reflect on the sacrifices made for us, let us not be pouty and dissatisfied and ungrateful for all the ways God blesses us everyday.  Oh...and let us not expect our children to understand and respond properly to our sacrifices when we are not responding properly to God's!

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 
Romans 5:8 

Heavenly Father, thank you for always loving me and always taking care of all my needs.  Thank you for knowing my heart and forgiving me when I am ungrateful.  Lord help me to remember that even when I do not have what I want, when I seek you first, I will have all I need!  Help me Lord to be a loving and patient mother.  Thank you for the 3 blessings you sent me and help me to lead them to you.  Amen.

Comments

  1. Good morning Erin, thank you so much for opening your heart in this blog. I am a faithful reader of your AZ blog as well but this one speaks to my heart so much. i've had this same fight with my kids weekly for a year, lol. And I am truly as ungrateful as they are in forgetting my blessings. God is using you in a wonderful way thru these entries and they are a small blessing to a lot of people. Thank you! Here's to starting my day with a thankful heart and no tantrums! Love you, Caren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Caren so much for this! I am glad God can use me in this way! Here's to a thankful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin,
    Thank You ! I am reading your blog also and you are a great inspiration to me . Just what I needed today .
    Lorraine (from Boswell)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lorraine!! I miss you and the other girls sooo much! Thanks for reading my blog, glad it blessed you today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts