What Am I Worth?

     Isn't it true that we tend to find our worth in what we do, in our titles?  I worked as a youth director for a church for over 12 years and the work was something I loved and was good at because of a strong love and burden for teenagers.  I felt valuable being in charge of a youth ministry with the daily opportunity to hang out with, cry with, laugh with, teach and mentor teenagers.  When I would look into the eyes of a teenager and see them finally understand who God is and how much He loves them, my heart would soar and I would feel that God had a use for me.
      As life happened, my role as youth director ended and with it came some serious feelings of worthlessness.  All of a sudden I had a lack of purpose and you could say I was lost.  I began to realize that my value and my worth do not lie in what I do or what my title is.  I am valuable because God thought about me, God designed me and He made me in His image.  My worth lies in the simple fact that the God of this universe thought I was important enough to create! 

Psalm 139

1 You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.

Comments

  1. Erin I love your posts. You are such a wonderful writer. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Shannon...as long as I am a mess, you will hear from me...so for a looonnnngggg time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts